A Coquitlam civic facility's pools will be closed throughout September to undergo seasonal maintenance, including draining and deep-cleaning its equipment.
For just over four weeks, city crews will be at the City Centre Aquatic Complex (CCAC) to conduct a series of tasks to improve its services for local residents and ensure safety regulations are met.
"The closure is necessary for maintenance and cleaning that cannot be completed while the facility is open, and ensures a safe environment for staff and the public, reduces the likelihood of equipment failures, and extends the life of City assets," explains Coquitlam community recreation manager Michael Fox in a news release today (Aug. 24).
The CCAC will officially be closed from Sept. 6 to Oct. 9.
During that span, Fox says maintenance work at the facility — located at 1210 Pinetree Way — will consist of the following:
- Draining the pools
- Deep-cleaning the tanks
- Deep cleaning the fitness centres
- Deep-cleaning equipment, lockers, change rooms, showers, lifejackets and pool toys
- Regrouting tiles
- Touching up paint
- Inspecting and servicing mechanical systems and other equipment
The pools are scheduled to reopen on Thanksgiving (Oct. 10), but as it's a holiday, normal operating hours will return the next day, Oct. 11.
The STAT hours on Oct. 10 will be 8 to 10 a.m. for women only and 10:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. for the rest of the public.
Meanwhile, the CCAC's fitness centre will only be closed for maintenance from Sept. 6 to 12.
When it reopens on Sept. 13, Fox says the gym's hours will be as follows until Oct. 9:
- 5:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. = Monday to Friday
- 5:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. = Saturday
- Closed = Sunday
If you need to get your lanes in during the closure, residents and visitors are encouraged to use the Poirier Sport and Leisure Complex (633 Poirier St.) or the Eagle Ridge Outdoor Pool (2689 Guildford Way).
For more information, you can visit the City of Coquitlam's website.
Hyde Creek pool closing
In Port Coquitlam, the leisure and lap pools inside the Hyde Creek Recreation Centre will also be closed for maintenance work.
The city says the three-week closure will take place from Aug. 29 to Sept. 17.
Other PoCo recreation facilities, however, will be open for community use:
- Robert Hope Pool and Wading Pool (2137 Lamprey Dr.)
- Sun Valley Wading Pool (3700 Hamilton St.)
- Routley Wading Pool (1570 Western Dr.)
- Open until Sept. 5
- Centennial Pool (3050 Chester St.)
- Open until Oct. 7
- Castle and Sun Valley Parks
- Open daily from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. until September
- Port Coquitlam Community Centre Leisure Pool and Spray Park (2150 Wilson Ave.)