Skip to content

Men admit to 'brazen' robbery at Port Coquitlam car dealership

Kwabena Bosiako of Port Coquitlam and Omar Demetris of New Westminster were both 22 when they robbed staff at Journey Approved in November 2022.
Journey Approved car dealership in Port Coquitlam.

Two young men involved in a crime spree that started at a Port Coquitlam car dealership in November 2022 have pleaded guilty.

This morning, March 14, Coquitlam RCMP said Kwabena Bosiako of Port Coquitlam admitted to:

  • three counts of robbery
  • one count of use of a firearm during flight after committing an indictable offence
  • one count of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle
  • one count of failing to comply with a release order between June 2–6, 2023

As well, New Westminster resident Omar Demetris pleaded guilty to two counts of robbery and one count of unauthorized possession of a firearm.

The men entered their pleas on March 7 at Port Coquitlam Provincial Court.

Mounties say four suspects stole from staff, as well as a vehicle, at gunpoint from the Journey Approved dealership, located at 1881 Lougheed Hwy. in Port Coquitlam, at around 3:40 p.m. on Nov. 22, 2022.

The four escaped in the stolen vehicle after exchanging gunfire with responding officers, RCMP said, but then crashed the car on the Trans-Canada Highway near the King Edward Street overpass in Coquitlam.

The suspects fled on foot; however, a 22-year-old man was arrested at the scene while another 22-year-old suspect carjacked a nearby vehicle before driving to Surrey, where he was arrested.

Both remain in custody.

After the robbery, Jeff Kornatowsky, principal dealer for the Journey Auto Group, told the Tri-City News that employees had their wallets, phones and jewelry taken by the thieves. 

One staff member went to hospital with minor injuries.

"This was an extremely chaotic, fast-moving and dynamic response to an extremely brazen and violent incident that happened in the middle of the afternoon in an extremely busy area," said Coquitlam RCMP Insp. Darren Carr at a news conference the following day.