Not since 2019 has Port Coquitlam had the chance to honour local businesses that go above and beyond for the community.
The PoCo Best Biz Awards have been non-existent the last four years as the COVID-19 pandemic and then provincial restrictions on gatherings put a damper on the party.
The hiatus, however, is set to end soon as the city aims to put establishments back in the spotlight once again.
Earlier this week, Port Coquitlam opened its nomination period for, what will be, the eighth annual event since its inception in 2013 and local residents are being encouraged to submit their favourite business(es) up for judges' consideration.
"Local businesses in our community are vital to our city's success and they play an important role in driving our local economy and providing much needed goods, services and jobs in Port Coquitlam," said Mayor Brad West in a release on Monday (Jan. 9).
"The pandemic has been a challenge for many of our local businesses that make up the fabric of our communities, including locally owned restaurants, shops and more in our city."
There are five PoCo Best Biz Awards:
- Small Business of the Year (One to 15 employees)
- 2019 winner: Western Sky Books
- Big Business of the Year (16 or more employees)
- 2019 winner: Orrange Kitchen and Bar
- People's Choice Award
- 2019 winner: Inspirations Nails Spa and Hair Studio
- Every business nominated will be eligible to win
- Home-based Business Award
- 2019 winner: Samantha's Cleaning Services
- Demonstrates significant growth, sustainability and excellent customer service
- Entrepreneur of the Year
- 2019 winners: Squish Juicery and The Angela Calla Mortgage Team
- Someone who is launching or has launched a business within the past three years
Businesses of any size can be nominated, according to the city.
Entrepreneurs can even nominate themselves or their establishment, which must operate within Port Coquitlam's municipal boundaries and have a valid licence.
The PoCo Best Biz Awards online nomination deadline is set for Feb. 1.
Port Coquitlam residents will then get cast a ballot for each category up until Feb. 13 before a panel of city and business reps select the winners.
A celebration gala to hand out the hardware is scheduled to take place March 1, 5:30 to 8 p.m. at Mabbett Hall inside the Port Coquitlam Community Centre (PCCC).
For more information and a breakdown of the nomination process, you can visit the Best Biz page of the city's website.
The Tri-City News is a sponsor of the 2023 PoCo Best Biz Awards.