Super Bowl Sunday on Feb. 12 is fast approaching and Tri-Cities pubs and sports bars are planning now for the big day.
In 2021, pubs and bars across B.C. were warned not to do anything special due to the spread of COVID-19.
Now, local establishments are back in business and some new restaurants have opened — providing a convivial atmosphere of food, spirits and sports for those who like to share the experience with other football fans.
And if you want to get in on the fun, you'd better call ahead as most businesses recommend making a reservation for the big game.
In Fremont Village in Port Coquitlam, for example, St. Louis Bar and Grill, a new wings joint, is advertising a wing and beer special as part of the Canadian company's 30-year Super Bowl tradition.
St. Louis is also promoting the use of its app for pre-ordering wings, with a five-pound wing platter for $59.99.
Meanwhile, at The Taphouse Coquitlam (405 North Rd.), a massive Superbowl menu is planned, including a Statefarm Stadium Taco Bar.
The reference is to the game location, State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Arizona, where the the Kansas City Chiefs and Philadelphia Eagles will face off in Super Bowl LVII.
Here are some other local pubs and bars to consider:
Cat and Fiddle Sports Bar and Restaurant (1979 Brown St.)
- Serving the community for over 30 years, and host of the Toy Run, Cat and Fiddle is planning a big day for Super Bowl Sunday. Tickets for the Annual Super Bowl Bash are $20 and you have your chance to win some amazing prizes, according to Facebook. Football squares are also being sold.
Samz Neighbourhood Pub (2342 Elgin Ave.)
- Samz Neighbourhood Pub says on Facebook the "stage has been set" for Super Bowl Sunday, however spots are limited so call 604-461-1174 to reserve your table. Lots of prizes and specials.
The Bennett Craft and Kitchen (2099 Lougheed Hwy.)
- The Bennet promises an afternoon of fun and prizes for Super Bowl Sunday beginning at noon, according to Facebook. Featuring 10 TVs and two big screens, the atmosphere will be exciting and reservations are recommended. Call 604 554-0198.
The Gillnetter Pub (1864 Argue St.)
- A popular neigbourhood pub located on the Maryhill Bypass and overlooking the Pitt River, the Gillnetter is now taking reservations for Super Bowl Sunday and will announce specials soon on Facebook. Call 604-941-5599 to reserve.
Orrange Kitchen and Bar (111-1125 Nicola Ave.)
- Orrange is planning a big day for Super Bowl Sunday, according to Facebook. The plan includes the game with surround sound, happy hour specials and prizes, including jerseys and Seahawks tickets to a game of your choice. Call 604-474-4424 to reserve.
The Arms Pub (3261 Coast Meridian Rd.)
- A Port Coquitlam neighbourhood staple, The Arms offers live sports, live entertainment and pay-per-view events in addition to beverages and an extensive pub menu. Known for its fundraising.
Golden Parrots Pub and Restaurant (170 Golden Dr.)
- Family-owned and run business, Golden Parrots is planning an NFL Super Bowl event with doors open at noon. Reservations are open at 604-468-2828 ext. 3. Football squares are being sold.
John B Pub (1000 Austin Ave.)
- With over 85 beers on tap, a happy hour menu and extensive food menu, John B calls itself a "suburban gastro pub." A friendly bartender, shows off his drink-making skills on Instagram.
Woody's Pub on Brunette (935 Brunette Ave.)
- Famous for its 49 cent wings and 30 beers on tap including 15 rotating craft beers from B.C. and beyond. It boasts 50 TVs and 5 big screens.
Charlie Hamilton's Pub (1031-1163 Pinetree Way, across from Lincoln Station)
- Offers an extensive pub style menu and $2 beers when Canucks score.
Wings Coquitlam (345 North Rd.)
- This sports bar has more than wings on the menu and typically promotes sporting events. However, with 26 flavours of wings,including some with exotic flavours, they know people love wings. See what's planned for upcoming games on Facebook.
Boomers Bar and Grill, in Planet ice (2300 Rockey Way)
- Did you know Planet Ice had a bar and grill where you can watch games and dine on an extensive pub-style menu, while drinking imported, bottled and local suds by the sleeve or jug? Full menu here.
My Pub and Liquor Store (1125 Falcon Dr.)
- Music will likely be on the menu for those who like a mellow Sunday. On Facebook My Pub typically updates its upcoming bands.